As winter approaches in Morristown, NJ, some homeowners face pavement issues that may require asphalt paving or sealcoating. While both techniques have pros and cons, C.H. Paving & Sealcoating believes that there’s more to it than just choosing one over the other!
This blog post discusses what you need to know about asphalt repairs in general before deciding on a procedure for your driveway or parking lot.
What’s the Big Difference?
Let’s see how asphalt paving is performed:
- Hot Mix Asphalt (or HMA) is poured over the pavement to repair cracks and potholes.
- HMA combines sand, stone, gravel (crushed), cement, water, and an oil-based liquid sticky when hot.
- A heavy roller compacts the newly poured asphalt, and another application of HMA on top follow this.
- This process fills all open areas below the surface level with long-lasting material that will last for years!
Moving on to sealcoating:
- A finish coat of either oil-based or water-based sealant is added to the pavement to prevent penetration by oils and chemicals (like gasoline).
- The seal coat is applied by brush, spray, or squeegee.
- After leaving to cure for 24 hours, the pavement is ready for traffic.
- This process makes for a very cost-effective way to protect your asphalt pavement from the elements over time!
When Should I Consider Repaving or Sealcoating?
While both procedures are effective at temperatures as low as 50 degrees Fahrenheit, it’s best to pave in the summer months when temperatures are most suitable.
Sealcoating, especially with water-based sealers, is also temperature-dependent and must be applied at a minimum of 55 degrees and rising.
However, if you prefer a permanent solution for your existing asphalt surface and want something that lasts longer than a summer, in that case, asphalt paving is the way to go. Sealcoating may not prevent your asphalt from cracking. Depending on how often you drive or park on your pavement, it may need redoing in as little as one summer.
Is it Still Worth it?
With winter in New Jersey cutting so close, you might be reconsidering your asphalt repair plans – or maybe even putting them off to next year.
There are still a few weeks before the snow starts, and until then, your plans do not have to take the back seat. And to prove it, we’ve prepared two lists of good reasons.
Asphalt paving is:
- Durable and long-lasting;
- An excellent solution for a new or existing asphalt surface;
- Increases the value of your property;
- Suitable for water drainage;
- It is very affordable and cost-effective;
- It makes an excellent temporary fix if you’re looking to get through summer with little expense;
- Helps accelerate the melting of snow and ice (good to keep in mind for this upcoming winter);
- Protects your pavement from oxidation.
When it comes to asphalt paving and sealcoating, there’s no such thing as a “one-size-fits-all” solution. The condition of your pavement will determine which method would be better! However, with C.H. Paving & Sealcoating in Morristown, NJ, rest assured that you’ll get the best asphalt paving or sealcoating solution for your needs.